Would you like a volunteering role that helps develop your career, is progressive and a little different?
TLC: Talk, Listen, Change is responsible for providing a Youth Support service alongside TalkShop and are currently recruiting for Volunteers who wish to gain experience in the Youth Work field by assisting other Youth Workers in a vibrant centre.
TalkShop is a Trafford based service which supports young people aged 12-19 in areas such as:
- Missing from Home Interviews
- Sexual Health Information & Advice
- Groups for Young Parents
- Child Exploitation Prevention & Support
What’s the role?
This is a unique role which will allow you to work alongside an enthusiastic team of Youth Workers to support young people in making positive change through assertive engagement and challenge.
We consider this role to be key in the development of young people and the people who support them (that’s you!). Main duties include:
- Building relationships with the young people who visit the centre
- Supporting group work sessions
- Supporting the reception team by welcoming young people into the centre
- Supporting the administration team with data entry work
- Advocating on behalf of young people, ensuring their voices are heard and represented
Within this role you will be fully trained and gain experience working in an innovative youth work environment. From the beginning you will be supported by the experienced team within TalkShop and our experienced Volunteer Coordinator who is also an experienced Children’s Counsellor.
This role may suit those who are looking to develop their careers in: youth work, social work, psychology, advocacy work, teaching, counselling or even the public sector and police work.
Why would I want to become a Volunteer Youth Worker?
- You have a passion for young people’s mental and emotional wellbeing
- You would like to gain direct and innovative experience in this field for work or studies
- You would like to meet new people and build your confidence
- You would like to make a difference
- You have the time to spare
Why volunteer with us?
- An interesting & diverse volunteering position where no two shifts are the same
- Treated with respect as a “professional volunteer”
- 1-2-1 supervision on a regular basis and access to peer support
- Relevant up to date training in the field of work
- Expenses are reimbursed (capped)
- References available upon request where appropriate
- Help and support if you are returning into work or looking into other opportunities
What are the other role requirements?
- 18+ years old
- An understanding of and commitment to the needs of young people
- A non-judgemental attitude
- Good verbal communication and listening skills
- Experience supporting young people (desirable)
We have an incredibly diverse and vibrant team and welcome people from all walks of life with varying experience to apply. However please note that we do require a DBS check (paid for by us) and each application is considered on an individual basis.