What is Housing First?
Housing First is an approach which transforms thinking about how to intervene with homeless and vulnerable people. At its heart, Housing First has a recovery orientation that places the customer’s choice of housing and support at the centre.
The basic underlying principle of the Housing First model is that people are better able to move forward with their lives if they are first housed in permanent self-contained housing with wrap-around services as required.
Threshold, a housing advice and support charity, are piloting the Housing First model in Greater Manchester. We are working in partnership with Threshold to provide counselling support to Housing First clients as part of a package of services available to them.
What sort of issues can counselling help with?
Often, tenants are facing a range of complex issues and difficulties which require integrated support services. By providing counselling within local communities, we create a confidential and non-judgemental environment where tenants are able to talk about what they're going through. Counselling can often be very helpful in addressing some of the following:
- Coming to terms with a relationship breakdown or losing someone important
- Personal issues they are facing within any of their relationships
- Reducing isolation by enabling people to build confidence, understand why they have become isolated and take appropriate action
- Worries about job loss, unemployment, redundancy or stress in work
- Supporting them in their relationship with themselves, helping them to feel happier with who they are.
- Improving their relationships by working out better ways to communicate
- Dealing with changes in people’s lives, like having children or living with a long-term illness
- Building Self Esteem and Confidence
- Help to reduce levels of Anxiety and Manage symptoms of Depression
If you are an Engagement Worker for Housing First and wish to refer somebody you’re working with for counselling, please fill in the form below: